In December 2005, seven political parties and the insurgent Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) forged a pivotal agreement on 12 points. This historic accord aimed to reclaim democracy, which had endured repeated disruptions by coups. Established in 1950, democracy faced a setback in 1989 due to King Mahendra’s actions. Despite its reinstatement in 1989, democracy suffered another blow when King Gyanendra dissolved the prevailing parliament on October 4, 2002, and assumed direct power on January 24, 2005. Subsequently, a movement arose advocating for a democratic system without monarchy. From 2006 to 2007, citizens protested for 19 days. Finally, on April 24, 2006, the announcement heralding the establishment of democracy in the country was made.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Gyanendra https://www.jstor.org/stable/23005941







Gaur Incident: Igniting the Quest for Justice

In the rice mills located in Gaur Municipality, families still campaign for justice concerning the incident that occurred on March 21, 2007. During a rally of Maoists, supporters of the forum disrupted the Maoist stage. Approximately seven minutes later, Maoist activists ran from the rice mills towards the stage of the forum, escalating the disruption. While the Maoists claim the incident was not a two-way clash, the INSEC report of the incident mentions two-way clashes in the vicinity of the rice mills. Despite both sides being informed in advance to organize the event together, the local administration failed to exercise appropriate caution in time, resulting in significant human casualties, as stated in the report.

Thirteen Years of Gaur Incident: Victimized Families Still Waiting For Justice



In the case regarding the death of Maina Sunar, a 16-year-old school girl, during the armed conflict, the District Court of Kavre has issued a verdict sentencing Nepalese army generals and their fellow soldiers to life imprisonment for their involvement in extrajudicial killings. The military court’s decision on March 7, 2006, which found Major General Babi Khatri, along with soldiers Nilu Prasad Adhikari and Amit Pun, responsible for Maina Sunar’s death during a military operation amid the conflict had sentenced Major General Babi Khatri, Nilu Prasad Adhikari and Amit Pun to six months of imprisonment. Additionally, Khatri received a two-year imprisonment term along with a fine of 50,000 rupees and a one-year suspension of promotion. The other two soldiers were fined 25,000 rupees each, accompanied by one year of imprisonment and a one-year suspension of promotion. Due to lack of appropriate legal action against the perpetrator, Maina’s mother, Devi Sunar, continues her advocacy in pursuit of justice for her daughter.








Maniklal Waiwa, a 32-year-old resident of Lalitpur district in Kaleshwar Vdc-7 (Mahangkal rural municipality-4), was a victim of the ten-year Maoist insurgency. According to INSEC records, on the night of the 10th of Kartik, 2059, 4-5 Maoist activists abducted him and killed him by slitting his throat with a sharp weapon near his residence in Ghatekhola. Mr. Vaiwa was also a teacher at Navodaya Primary School in Kaleshwar Khantikadada and served as the president of Navjyoti Rilek, an organization affiliated with INSEC.

Maniklal Waiba 

A Forgotten Human Rights Defender


Gangamaya Adhikari

Accused of Killing of Krishna Prasad Adhikari Arrested

Hearing of Krishna Prasad Adhikari’s Case Postponed

Demand For Justice Continues

Court Acquits 12 Accused

Twenty Years of Seeking Justice


Supreme Court Objects Government’s Decision to Provide Amnesty to Resham Chaudhary

Tikapur Incident: High Court Sentences Eight People, Including Resham Chaudhary to Life Imprisonment

Supreme Court Upholds Chaudhary’s Life Sentence

Negotiation of Government and Tharuhat: Six Points Agreement Including the Release of MP Resham Chaudary

Supreme Court Issues Show Cause Order Against President’s Decision

INSEC Demands Government to Refrain from Providing Pardon to Persons Guilty of Tikapur Incident

District Court of Kailali orders life sentence to the convicts of Tikapur incident

Major Accused of Tikapur Carnage sent to jail